With school, work and other commitments, getting enough exercise is not always easy. Thankfully, the summer months—as well as parts of spring and fall—offer beautiful weather in North Carolina. Take advantage of it and get moving!
Fit exercise into your busy schedule
- Take three 10-minute walks throughout the day instead of one 30-minute walk.
- Park your car farther from the store, or get off the bus one or two stops early and walk.
- Walk or bike to the store.
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Take breaks throughout the day to stretch; try involving your co-workers in something active at lunch.
- Walk while you talk on the phone.
- Do yard work or household chores.
- Join a hiking or running club.
- Go dancing with your spouse/partner or friends.
- Go to a movie after you and a friend work out.
- Play with your children outside.
Remember: To get moving, make it fun! Choose activities you enjoy, then vary what you do so you don’t get bored. Try different walking paths; or bike one day and jog the next. After you’ve exercised or achieved a goal, reward yourself!
Adapted from physical activity tips at womenshealth.gov.