Tomorrow is the Fourth of July: a time to celebrate not only our country’s founding but also the best parts of summer. The warm sunny weather. The cool water of the pool. Fun and games outside. Gathering with family and friends.
To make sure your holiday is memorable and safe, follow these tips.
- Cook meat and poultry thoroughly, and avoid cross-contamination.
- Use a cooler or freezer packs to keep cold foods at the right temperature.
- Keep food out of direct sun.
- Be aware of how many alcoholic drinks you have consumed.
- Do not drink and drive. Designate someone who is not going to drink alcohol to drive instead.
- Wear a seat belt, and use proper seats for young children.
- Do not use your cell phone while driving; pull to the side of the road or park if you need to make a call.
- Do not leave children or pets unattended in a vehicle, especially if it’s warm outside.
- Use insect and tick repellant during camping, hiking, hunting and other outdoor activities.
- Wear sunscreen with at least SPF 15 as well as a hat and sunglasses.
- Let professionals manage the fireworks display.
- If you light any fireworks, do so in a clear area away from houses, people and flammable materials.
- Keep water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that do not go off or in case of fire.