August is National Breastfeeding Month. The breastfeeding campaign, funded by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, aims to empower women to commit to breastfeeding by highlighting new research that shows the advantages of breastfeeding.
At Duke Regional Hospital, our mission is to protect, promote and support exclusive breastfeeding. Breastfeeding offers many benefits for both baby and mom.
Benefits for Baby
• Bonding experience for mom and baby
• Provides ideal nutrition
• Boosts immune system
• Higher IQs
• Decreases the incidence of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome)
• Decreases the risk of asthma, allergies, ear infections and respiratory infections
Benefits for Mom
• Bonding with baby
• Return to pre-pregnancy weight quicker
• Lower risk of ovarian cancer
• Lower risk of breast cancer
• Reduces the risk of osteoporosis
• Costs approximately $300 year compared to $1,500 year for formula
The staff at Duke Regional Hospital has been through extensive training to support and encourage exclusive, on-demand breastfeeding. Specialized lactation consultants are available if mom or baby need extra support or are encountering challenges.
Are you currently breastfeeding or do you know a mom who is? Check out our new lactation notebook for breastfeeding mothers: http://bit.ly/1q8H1gz.