Halloween can be a fun time for kids to dress up as their favorite character, eat candy and stay up past their regular bed time. Make sure your trick-or-treaters follow these tips from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to stay safe.
- Wear well-fitting masks, costumes and shoes to avoid blocked vision, trips and falls.
- Do not trick-or-treat alone. Walk in groups with a trusted adult.
- Hold a flashlight while trick-or-treating to help you see and others see you.
- Look both ways before crossing the street. Use established crosswalks wherever possible.
- Walk on sidewalks, if possible, or on the far edge of the road facing traffic to stay safe.
- Only visit well-lit houses.
- Examine all treats for tampering before eating them.
- Avoid eating homemade treats made by strangers. Eat only factory-wrapped treats.
For more tips on how to stay safe while trick-or-treating, visit cdc.gov/family/halloween.