For some people, a healthy diet and rigorous exercise isn’t enough for dramatic weight loss. The Duke Center for Metabolic and Weight Loss Surgery specializes in weight-loss surgery options to fit people in all stages of obesity.
The Lap-Band System may be the right fit for you if:
- You want to lose as little as 30 pounds.
- You have a BMI of at least 30 with one or more co-morbidities, or you have a BMI of at least 40.
- You have not had success with traditional weight-loss attempts through diet and exercise.
- You are not currently suffering from another disease that may be related to your excess weight.
- You are prepared to make a healthy lifestyle change.
- You are at least 18 years old.
- You do not drink alcohol in excess.
How does it work?
The Lap-Band System is placed around the stomach reducing the amount of food you take in. This allows you to feel full faster and for a longer period of time. This procedure is performed with minimally invasive surgical techniques, which lead to less pain, minimal scarring and a quicker recovery.
Weight loss is gradual, but patients experience significant reduction in obesity-related complications including heart disease, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea and joint pain. Patients typically lose about 30-40 percent of excess weight one to five years following surgery. The exact amount of weight you lose will depend on your compliance with the dietary instructions and your tolerance to adjustments to the tightness of the band.
Learn more about the Lap-Band System at a free seminar. Click here to register.